LTN
March 23, 2026 自由時報

Ford-class aircraft carrier returns to Greek base

The USS Gerald R. Ford, a US Navy aircraft carrier, has arrived at the US Naval Base in Crete for repairs after a brief deployment to the Middle East, where it was involved in strikes against Iran. The ship had been at sea for nearly a year and had faced several maintenance issues, including a fire on board that injured two sailors. The extended deployment has raised concerns about the mental and physical toll on its crew, with Senator Mark Warner criticizing the decision, saying they are "exhausted".
Ford Destroyer Arrives in Crete for Repairs USS Gerald R. Ford Returns to US Naval Base in Crete After Brief Deployment A U.S. Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, arrived at the port of Souda Bay in Crete on Tuesday for repairs. The Ford, which was involved in recent strikes against Iran, returned to the U.S. Naval Base in Crete after a brief deployment. According to a report by the Associated Press, the Ford arrived in Souda Bay in February to resupply food, fuel and ammunition, but it was forced to leave the area after a fire broke out on board, injuring two sailors. The Ford and the USS Abraham Lincoln were deployed to the Middle East by the U.S. and Israel on February 28 to launch a major air strike against Iran. The Ford and the Lincoln carried dozens of fighter jets in the operation. The Ford left the Middle East after a fire on board, creating a void in the region's military presence. Daniel Schneiderman, director of the Washington-based think tank Penn Washington, said: "Regardless of how long the Ford is gone, it represents a reduction in U.S. military support for Israel." He said that the Ford's presence in defending Israel was crucial, and that if some of its air defense assets were kept in the area, "the impact on overall operations would be slightly lessened." The Ford has been at sea for nearly a year, and its deployment has raised concerns about the mental and physical toll on its crew. The fire on board is just one of several maintenance issues the Ford has faced recently, including problems with its sewage system, which has been criticized by lawmakers. Senator Mark Warner, vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, criticized the decision to extend the Ford's deployment, saying: "The Ford and its crew have been at sea for over a year, and they are exhausted. They are paying the price for President Trump's impulsive military decisions."
Read original article ↗